Live Galatians 2-20
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lamb's Book of Life

3 posters

Go down

Lamb's Book of Life Empty Lamb's Book of Life

Post  Admin Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:55 pm

What do you know about the "Lamb's Book of Life"? What does it mean to "blot out one's name"? How would this figure with God's grace and eternal salvation? cheers
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://livegalatians2-20.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Lamb's Book of Life Empty The Book of Life - great illustration of God's grace and intention

Post  Maximus Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:54 am

Ah yes, the Book of Life, an intriguing little obscure truth. There are several verses that say that only those whose names are written in the Book of Life will enter into heaven (Rev. 20:12, 15: 21:27, Luke 10:20). According to the judgement scene described in Rev. 20, if you name is written in that book, you go directly through Door #1 (God's presence), and don't have to go through Door #2 (further judgment where many MORE books will be open that record your sins, leading to banishment from God's presence).
Then there are verses that mention names being blotted OUT of the Book of Life (Ex. 32:32; Ps. 69:28; Rev. 3:5). I believe we can't lose our salvation, so how can our names be BLOTTED out or removed, once it is written in? Hmmmmmmmmm....
The answer can only be that God writes ALL of our names in the Book of Life up front. This would seem consistent with His desire that ALL people be saved and come to Him. Then, when a person dies without receiving God's provision of salvation (Jesus' payment), then the name is REMOVED from the Book of Life. That would also answer what happens to children who die young, or those outside of "accountability" (maybe even the seriously mentally impaired). Those are the ones who never have a chance to REJECT God's offer of salvation, so, with their names already written it the Book, they enter into God's heaven.
That seems clear to me. NOW, how to explain Rev. 13:8 and 17:8, which mentions certain ones in the tribulation on the "evil" side whose names were never written in the Book of Life. hmmmmmm
Maximus
Maximus

Back to top Go down

Lamb's Book of Life Empty Lamb's Book of Life

Post  Greg Cleland Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:24 am

Mark,

Last week in Hermeneutics we had a discussion on whether we can loose our salvation. The instructor referenced Hebrews 6:4-12. It reads:

4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,
5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age,
6 if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.
7 Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God.
8 But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.
9 Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are confident of better things in your case--things that accompany salvation.
10 God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.
11 We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure.
12 We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

- Hebrews 6:4-12 Has (4) major views
1. Loss of salvation (it’s impossible to renew ones salvation again)
2. Person is never saved to begin with
3. Saved, but losses his reward
4. It’s a hypothetical (… loss of salvation)

He opted for the first choice.

Greg

Greg Cleland

Back to top Go down

Lamb's Book of Life Empty Option #5

Post  Maximus Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:47 pm

Words in these verses like "once were enlightened", "shared", "tasted", do NOT describe a new creation or nature. ONly someone associated with ....
So, option #5 is that this person was never saved, came SO close that they have grown callouses to His calling, and can't become a Christian.

I have much more to say about eternal security. For one thing, "eternal life", by its definition has no begining and no end, and NO break in the middle. So, once a person possesses eternal life, there is NO interruption or loss. Otherwise, one would possess "temporoary", or "intermittent" life.
See you in one hour.
Mark
Maximus
Maximus

Back to top Go down

Lamb's Book of Life Empty Re: Lamb's Book of Life

Post  Greg Cleland Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:18 am

Mark,

I believe your answer, option #5, has enlightened me regarding this issue. I am not sure I want to confront this gentleman, Dr. Mapes, at this time. Maybe never. He has probably heard it all. Plus I believe he is saved anyway. Why stir up a hornets nest. I believe your response is on target. I am going to pray now that you and the Holy Spirit will not impress upon me the need to confront him. Just kidding. You would only encourage me to seek the counsel of the Holy Spirit and wouldn't take a position one way or the other. I am getting it.

This is something interesting I recently heard from Les Feldick (dual nature perspective). The perspective that the apostles, who remained in Jerusalem, were speaking to Jews only. There message was strictly one of belief only, that Jesus was the Messiah. Paul's message was of grace and was presented to the gentiles. Now that the temple has been destroyed the message of Paul is the only path of salvation, even as it pertains to the Jews. Paul emphasizes belief and the cross, the shedding of Jesus' blood, where the apostles emphasize belief in who Jesus' is only. Today's gospel is an emphasis on both. Am I correct in the understanding that Hebrews was addressed specifically for Jews, Jews who still practiced Judaism? I guess some gentiles were under the impression that they needed to convert to Judaism which I believe was an assertion Peter made to the gentiles which is addressed by Paul in Gal. 2. I thought that was interesting.

Greg

Greg Cleland

Back to top Go down

Lamb's Book of Life Empty Interesting take on the apostles...

Post  Maximus Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:08 pm

I had never heard that distinction about the apostles, and their message vs. Paul's. I wonder how that addresses Peter's new revelation and message when he encountered the Gentiles and brought that back to Jerusalem, proclaiming that salvation is now for them as well. Of course, that doesn't refute what you heard.

Yes, I have always read, and believed that Hebrews was written to Jewish Christians. All the arguments are based on their knowledge of the OT and it's covenant. It doesn't speak to the fact that they were practicing Judaism. That might apply more to Galatians. One interesting thing I heard about Hebrews is that it MUST have been written before 70 AD. Otherwise, the writer certainly would have alluded to that fact.

Mark
Maximus
Maximus

Back to top Go down

Lamb's Book of Life Empty Re: Lamb's Book of Life

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down